Contemporary Literacy

 



    Hello, my name is Destiny Portillo! I am currently a sophomore majoring in Criminal Justice B.S. here at NJCU. Similar to my major I am a big fan of criminal television shows and books which gave me the inspiration to have steered in the direction I have taken. Also since I grew up around family members who were part of the law enforcement field; my passion to help and protect others is never-ending. Although I am majoring in Criminal Justice, I love to write! I have always found joy in attending English classes and I owe it all to the teachers whom I encountered growing up and my parents as well! This is why upon scheduling classes I decided to take on Contemporary Literacies to explore the values and genres of literacy.

     During my early years of life, I grew up in a household where both English and Spanish were spoken. My parents encouraged me to practice my native tongue (English) and their native tongue (Spanish). So when it came to reading and writing, both my Mother and Father helped me along the way from holding a book properly and even writing comfortably with a pencil. They even inspired me to explore and endure challenges for myself; allowing me to advance my reading levels and consistently allowing me to buy a plethora of books! It wasn't until about the 4th grade that I felt even more encouraged to explore literature, this being because I was part of the Honors classes and recommended to join the NJIT summer college program! I owe it all to my parents and my 4th-grade teacher Mrs. Cifarelli to have given me such an opportunity! During my time in NJIT's summer college program from grades 4th-8th grade, my reading strategies flourished! I began to comprehend scanning text, analyzing and annotating, collaborating topics, etc.  

      Of course, one can't feel literate the moment they are born, but I'd like to say I felt literate the moment I began 1st grade. Although I felt as if I was fully fluent in both English and Spanish reading and writing by 2nd grade. I am a visual and auditory learner which means I need to physically be shown or told how to properly speak, write, or read something. My parents gave me leveled reading books, and helped me put sentences together on my chalkboard/whiteboard. I loved to watch and read along with audiobooks played on my television. My favorite activity my parents developed would have to be my sticker chart! The sticker chart was placed on a wall in my room and every time I was able to finish a reading book and get a 100% on spelling and reading tests a star was placed on it. Once the sticker chart was filled, I was allowed to choose any additional item I wanted in my room; in other words toys. As a young child, I was a huge fan of toys of all kinds! Like any normal child, I was not always able to get a 100% or accomplish reading hard books, but that never stopped me from asking for help. I was always taught to ask for help from my role models, and my parents.

      At the age of 20, I still admire the opportunity to expand my knowledge and concept of literacy. I will always love the idea of writing and dissecting readings! Since literature is consistently evolving; it will continue to do so for years to come since we have technology at our grasp and reach. Literacy allows me to do simple everyday life tasks, such as reading signs, maps, buildings, and books. As well as giving me the enjoyment of being able to understand what I'm watching on television to even understand the music I am listening to. To this day my parent's love and support to explore and expand my education along with my literature give me the utmost hope that I will be able to graduate in my expected year!

Comments

  1. Loved reading this! Looking forward to learning more about you. Have you watched Truth Be Told with Octavia Spencer?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Other Wes Moore

Is Pop Culture Good for You?